U.S. Presidential Office Flag of President Roosevelt early 1930s to 1945 with 1916 Design.
This is a model 1916 US Presidential Flag. It was created when President Woodrow Wilson signed an Executive Order 2390 on May 29 1916, which established the modern presidential flag. This came after a succession of different designs, which both the US Navy and US Army had promulgated and used as their own versions. Now, for the first time, the President as Commander-in-Chief had a single design. It would be used until 1945.
It was handloom embroidered with silk yarns, at the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, in the 1930's and bears their tag in the pole hem sleeve; which dates from the first term of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Roosevelt would have used this in the White House, either in the Oval Office or in the Cabinet room. Silken colors like this one would also have been used to indicate his presence as the Commander-in-Chief of the United States at official American naval and military ceremonies. FDR is also known to have used smaller bunting flags of the same design (see ZFC2581) when he traveled to Hyde Park, NY or Warm Springs, GA.
The exact use to which this specific flag would have been put is unknown. It was acquired at auction with only oral provenance placing it in Washington DC during the Roosevelt administration. Whatever its use, the flag is an exquisite tribute to the artistry and skill of the embroiderers. Each of these flags is hand-made and the fringe is hand knotted out of silver and gold bullion wire.
In 1945, this pattern was eventually altered. The eagle was made to face the olive branches, which symbolize the power of peace. The four corner stars were dropped and a single ring of 48 stars was substituted. This remains the basic for the US Presidential flag.
University of California - Santa Cruz
Board of Councilors Meeting, Rare Flags Exhibit
Santa Cruz, CA
7 June 2012
ZFC Significant Flag
Item is Framed
• Made by Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot, 1930s.
• Used by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1933 - 1945.
• Sold via Cowan's Auctions, Cincinnati, Ohio, to Zaricor Flag Collection, 2005.