U.S. Army Calvary Regimental Standard, M-1904, Schuylkill Arsenal.
In the 19th century each cavalry regiment of the U. S. Army carried a blue standard with a version of the coat of arms of the United States applied to its center including a unit designation on a red scroll. In 1885 the background color for US Cavalry standards was changed to golden yellow but the free-flying lifelike eagle in the US coat of arms was retained.
In 1904 the Army adopted a new rendition for the arms. The realistic eagle was replaced by a highly stylized "European" type heraldic eagle, based on the realization of the U.S. arms by Louis C. Tiffany, a design which continues to serve today. By the time the Army entered the 20th century, the regulations for embroidered devices were more heavily enforced. This color was specifically embroidered for the United States Cavalry at the US Quartermaster's Depot at Schuylkill Arsenal in Philadelphia, PA. However, the unit designation has been left blank as this was an unissued flag. It is likely, given the flag's Philadelphia origins, that the flag was still in inventory until 1921 when the design of the scroll was changed, ultimately rendering the design obsolete.
Made at U.S Army Quartermaster Schuylkill Arsenal, Philadelphia, PA, circa. 1904.
Acquired in private sale from Dr. Rex Kessler, Philadelphia, PA, by Zaricor Flag Collection, 2009.
ZFC Significant Flag